While there are several incredible attractions in St. Augustine, simply wandering the quaint and walkable streets is one of the best things to do during your trip. It’s also a great way to experience our historic city and find unique places you won’t find anywhere else. If you’re searching for the perfect place to take a leisurely stroll with your loved one, look no further than St. George Street in St. Augustine. Known as the premier street in America’s oldest city, St. George Street is one of the only places in the city in which pedestrians can wander and explore without worrying about traffic or oncoming vehicles. Journey down this narrow avenue and discover everything that makes our city one of the nation’s most beloved destinations.
St. George Street in St. Augustine is just one of the many places you’ll want to visit during your stay with us. For more recommendations, request your free copy of our Vacation Guide and you’ll instantly receive a full list of our area’s top attractions, activities, historic sites, dining, and more. It’s the only thing you’ll need to plan the ultimate getaway to America’s oldest city.
3 Fun Things to Do on St. George Street in St. Augustine
Out of the many places to enjoy shopping in St. Augustine, St. George Street is one of the best! Abundant with charming boutiques, souvenir stores, and antique shops, this vibrant avenue is sure to supply irresistible gifts and mementos of your trip. Here are some of our favorite St. George Street in St. Augustine shops that you won’t want to skip.
- Theatre Magic Shop: Doubling as a shop and theater, this fascinating stop on St. George Street will have you believing in the power of magic! During your visit, you’ll be able to watch professional magicians perform some of their best tricks, learn how to do them yourself, and purchase products so you can amaze your friends and family back home.
- Pena-Peck House: This historic building in St. Augustine is every shopper’s paradise! You’ll be able to browse through a wide variety of unique and beautiful jewelry, accessories, home decor, books, and more.
- The Panama Hat Company of St Augustine: They have provided finely-woven, handmade Panama hats to the St. Augustine community since 1985. Stop by to find the perfect addition to your wardrobe and an accessory that makes a statement.
If all of that shopping has worked up an appetite, you’re in luck! There are several St. George Street in St. Augustine restaurants to choose from. Whether you’re searching for a casual place to grab lunch or a fine dining experience to share with your special someone, there’s always an option for a memorable meal. When you’re searching for a place to grab a bite, take a look at these popular restaurants and shops.
- Burrito Works Taco Shop: This a quirky Mexican joint that serves up some of the best nachos and tacos in town. Stop in for a delicious lunch and a refreshing margarita. Ole!
- Columbia Restaurant: Columbia is the world’s largest Spanish restaurant and one of six locations in Florida. It’s been locally owned and operated for over 110 years and provides an experience that diners will want to repeat over and over again.
- The Bunnery Bakery and Cafe: If you’re craving a sweet treat, The Bunnery is one of St. Augustine’s favorite places for a mouthwatering snack. They also serve a full menu of succulent sandwiches, freshly baked bread, and cakes all made from scratch.
3. Historic Sites
The city of St. Augustine is filled with awe-inspiring historic sites, many of which you’ll find on St. George Street! The Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse was built over 200 years ago and still retains much of its original structure. Whether you stop for a few photos or go inside to admire the artifacts, you certainly won’t want to skip this local attraction. The St. Photios Greek Orthodox National Shrine is also found on St. George Street in St. Augustine and depicts scenes of the life of Christ with stunning Byzantine-style frescoes highlighted with 22-karat gold leaf. The shrine is dedicated to the first colony of Greek people, who were first brought to the Atlantic Coast of Florida as indentured servants.
Experience the Best of St. Augustine at the Victorian House
After exploring St. George Street in St. Augustine, stroll down to nearby Aviles Street and indulge in some well-deserved relaxation at our historic bed & breakfast. The Victorian House is one of the most romantic inns in North Florida and features 12 gorgeous guest rooms that are perfectly equipped for you and your sweetheart’s escape. During your stay, you’ll also enjoy a delicious complimentary breakfast each morning, a variety of unique amenities, and access to our irresistible vacation specials and packages.
Book your next romantic getaway in your favorite room today! We look forward to welcoming you to America’s oldest city soon.